Monday, December 03, 2007

This better not be true

ESPN is keeping a blog going of the winter meetings with live updates from all their baseball people. This afternoon, Steve Phillips posted this update about the Pirates/Indians talk:

The Pirates and Indians are talking about a potential Jason Bay trade. Pittsburgh would get catcher Kelly Shoppach and left-hander Cliff Lee for the two-time All-Star.
I am not kidding when I say that if this trade goes down, there is at least a 75% chance that I'm turning in my Pirate-fan card for good. This is such an unfathomably stupid idea that Dave Littlefield is sitting at home thinking to himself, "I wouldn't make that trade in a million years." It's only Steve Phillips reporting it, and he's a moron of near legendary proportions, but man, I am now terrified.